Saturday, September 29, 2007

Judging a Book by its Cover


On a recent trip back to Taiwan, we brought back quite a few Chinese children’s books for Ryan. One reason is for him to have more exposure to Chinese. Secondly, besides the works by Taiwanese authors, there is an amazing selection of award winning children's books from Europe, Japan, and US all beautifully translated. Lastly, in all honesty, I’m a big fan of these picture books. Those colorful images and adorable characters are my eye candies!

When it comes to selecting the books, I’m totally a "judging a book by its cover" type of person. If the color, design or the illustrator’s drawing style appeal to me, I’ll go for it regardless of whether the storyline is appropriate for a two-year old….Therefore, we’ve got a few lovely books that I enjoy but certainly not appreciated by Ryan. Well, if you know how many times a mom has to repeat the same story in a day, you’d not blame her for choosing the ones she will at least enjoy herself.

Thanks for Grace and Vivian's book recommendations which kept me not too off-track from age appropriate books.

Grand Loup, & Petit Loup by Olivier Tallec & Nadine Brun-Cosme is one of our favorites.


No comments: