Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Gardener, my all-time favorite store


The Gardener was mentioned in my previous posting but I think it deserves a place of its own. It's one of my must-visit stores on every trip to Berkeley. The store was founded back in 1984 by Alta, a former garden designer and photographer. It was originally intended to sell a collection of garden tools and hardware. Over the years, with Alta’s fabulous style and taste, the Gardener has evolved into a lifestyle store.

What you may find at the store today is a great pair of Japanese flower scissor, the local Heath dinnerware, a tribal Noah bell to an organic dinning table from Indonesia. With its well-edited merchandise collection and constant change in store display, no wonder many people come to it for gift ideas, a new piece of garden furniture or simply inspiration. Most importantly, the Gardener portraits a modern, organic indoor/outdoor living style, we Californians all long for.

The Gardener, my all-time favorite store.



2 comments:

Venus ~ Vi said...

The Gardener is one of my all time favorites too. I love their ceramic collections from local artists and imports from Japan! I also adore the store design and layout! I frequent both of the shops in Berkeley and Ferry Building on a weekly bases. I wonder if we ever brushed shoulders at the shop before ^u^

Vi

22 Butterfly said...

Hi Vi,
I'm glad to know that there is someone out there that adores Gardener as I do. But "on a weekly basis"!!?? Well, if I lived close enough to the shop in Berkeley, I'd probably do the same. I wonder how often they change their merchandise display. It seems like everytime I go, it's with different pieces of furniture and tabletop items.

I'll try to look for you next time I visit the shop. 8-)