Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Rock Rice


I still remember those countless hours spent looking for toy ideas at Oompa, and Talbot's. However, as Ryan is getting older, I found my passion for scouting out good quality toys has diminished. I think partly it's because the products designed for the babies are too adorable to resist, partly because we found ourselves gradually giving way to toy trucks, trains and more trucks in the house. But most importantly, I realized too many toys could limit children’s imagination and creativity.

While I was researching a good kitchen set for Ryan, one day I found him layering his little cereals on the latch system of an old high chair. I curiously asked what he was doing. He happily responded “I’m baking my cereals.” It suddenly daunted on me that if he’s got a well-designed and sleek looking kitchen set, could he still think of the multiple mini-shelves latch system as an oven? My conclusion is no.

Now, Ryan's favorite activity with cousin Tony is to play chef at the backyard using our retired mini grill, park found pine cones, rocks, sand, and the only real cooking ingredients, thyme and rosemary both planted in the backyard. They named their master creation the Rock Rice.

In the picture, Ryan was busy firing the grill. Well, at least, according to him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maggie: Great blogs! Yeah, let's see how long you can keep it up. As for me, I'm not very dedicated to writing. I'd rather read, so keep posting wonderful stories as these about life and especially Ryan. I'm glad he has such an imagination. Why spend money on pricey toys when it's so much more fun to see them come up with their own inventions!!!

Miss you.

Kristine

22 Butterfly said...

Hi Kristine
Thanks for your nice comment. How is life at Bakersfield? I heard from Yuko that you're expecting?? Congratulations. When is the due date? Have you found out the gender of the baby?

--Maggie